Natural haircare product must-haves for your household – kids, men and women. We’ve got you covered.
Big volume, not a big mistake – how to apply hair powder properly
For women who struggle with flat, fine and thin hair that won’t hold styles, hair powders are practically magic. Thanks to the texture-generating technology behind them, these volumising and mattifying products can instantly poof up limp locks and hold them, creating a real sense of body – no teasing and blow-drying necessary.
However, applying a powder texturiser, like Matrix Height Riser Volumizing Powder, has its own set of challenges. Even if it comes in a spray bottle, like a dry shampoo or normal hairspray, using it is not a simple case of spray and go. To get application right, and maximise the impression of hair lift and life in the process, follow these steps:
- Hair powders are best applied to dry hair. Used on wet or still-damp hair, they may leave a noticeable residue. Also, this kind of grip dust works by removing excess moisture and oil. Too much water will prevent the product from performing as intended: namely providing a fresh, fluffy look and improved manageability.
- Don’t be put off by small bottle sizes. A little texturising powder goes a very long way. Sprinkle straight from the bottle onto your hair. Alternatively, apply a small amount to your palms and then spread it evenly through your locks with your fingers. Start with a tiny amount and increase if necessary. We recommend the straight-from-the-bottle method as it’s less messy.
- Remember that where you apply the powder on your strands makes a big difference. Need more oomph at the roots? Lightly dust there. Require more definition for your carefully-styled waves and curls? Focus your powdering efforts on the mid-lengths and tips. Want to give a short style a piecey effect? Apply strategically to sections of hair.
- To make your life easier, and maximise the powder’s benefits, don’t overwork your look after applying. As these products create a sense of body by generating friction between strands, over-vigorous styling will see you fighting your volumised locks – and no doubt leave you frustrated! So, don’t rub. Simply tousle or gently scrunch your hair in sections instead. You’ll see the results immediately.
- Hair powder is surprisingly long-lasting. You can even reactivate it later in the day by simply scruffing and squeezing your tresses a little. As it’s difficult to brush out, though, it’s best removed with a normal shampoo wash.
Now you’re equipped to make this versatile styling product a regular life-saving part of your routine. To pick up a professional-quality volumising powder, and receive a few more application tips, visit your nearest salon.
Oops, something went wrong! Please try again later...